I suggest you ...

GPS Option

One of the problems is that While the My Location system is powerful, it is only powerful after a period of time with lots of devices sending in useful data. However, it would appear that my specific area lacks a good bit of data AND my cell service is quite spotty. That being the case, I would love to see an option for me to use GPS at my own discretion, or even as a failsafe for when the underlying system is unable to detect my location within a certain proximity in any given area. Personally, I would find the accuracy of GPS over the My Location system more beneficial for my field work and profiles that I would like to program in.

GPS location as an option in creating locations and activating rules, at my own discretion, with perhaps a warning that battery use will be increased. Perhaps even giving my control over the polling interval, would be awesome.

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chuck commented  · 

I had a similar idea to 86montecarlo. Have the an option to have a cell tower location trigger the GPS to become active to fine tune the location. In this senario, I could have it set to NOT use GPS until I actually get near home, ie within the cell range, and then GPS would become active to determine my exact location. This should provide a good way to conserve on battery power while still giving GPS locations.

• MinuitPro commented  · 

Can we get an update on this? I'm getting pretty tired of not being able to use the location in rules since I bounce towers all the time. Paying $ for the widget to toggle profiles back and forth by myself seems steep.

• MinuitPro commented  · 

It would appear that the GPS transceiver is only active when making calls to get your location so having your interval be every few minutes should be fine to maintain battery life. Also, once the deactivate (or toggle) profile action is in place, you should be able to make sequential profiles that will turn it on/off as needed. I definitely want GPS since my phone location switches between three towers @ home (and not even moving) and some have a wider coverage; so even at home, settings profile things I'm at work since it's just on the edge of one of the towers' coverage (based on the map to set locations).

• genei.09 commented  · 

This would also be excellent for the car dock. Chances are that if I am in the car I have a charger or one is connected and I'm going to want to use the navigation, google maps, or some other application that uses the GPS. So if I could automatically turn the GPS on and off based off of my actual GPS location determining home and work along with other settings this would be fantastic as the towers are not at all accurate for me either.

• Mark Hirt commented  · 

There are a few places I go (not home or work) that a GPS location option would be the best thing since sliced bread. I for one would gladly give up a little battery life for the wealth of options GPS location has to give.

Work: Due to being in close proximity to two strong towers I cannot use a location based profile, it keeps switching towers (I suppose that's a good thing)
        Home: The above is starting to happen here too, but I cannot figure out why. The closest tower give me 5 bars the other 2
        Racetracks I "race/work" at: Most are pretty much in the middle of nowhere with their respective towers being pretty far away making "joining" the circles pretty much worthless.

When at a Racetrack to "work", I'd like the volume ALL THE WAY UP and mobile networks off (that would be a nice option too... hint hint)
        When at a Racetrack to "race", I'd like the phone to turn off, but that's probably not an option :) (could it be?)

note: I cannot use WiFi at work because the server blocks "media" downloads

• Rick Davies commented  · 

Woot! Thanks for taking this into consideration and planning it into a release! This will truly make this app equivalent to Locale but a much better alternative (at least in my mind!) Glad to see such responsiveness and makes me feel like my investment into this product was well worth it!

• Rick Davies commented  · 

I would like to add my request for this feature with a user controlled ability to toggle the GPS location on and off at intervals. I purchased this app due to its configurability and price over Locale, but may end up buying Locale since a lot of what I want to do with this app would be based upon a precise GPS location. Please consider implementing a GPS module with good user control. If I kill my battery, well, its my fault and I would not blame the app creator.

• Steven Rothkin commented  · 

Implementation suggestion -- Only change location when GPS reports a new location. If GPS is unavailable, should remain locked in the current location until GPS becomes available again (this suggestion should also apply to location by cell tower).

By doing it this way, if a rule activates because it detects the condition that is based on being in a specific location, the rule won't deactivate just because the GPS (or cell towers) are all of a sudden unreachable (as could happen when moving around inside a building).

Having it work this way is key to being able to reliably use location for things like "silence phone while at the Temple).

• 86montecarlo commented  · 

I consistently check the site for any news on this. I won't be paying for this app until its implemented and I am dying to spend some cash :) I believe a clever combination of wifi/network location and gps could be extremely powerful with minimal battery life impact. Like being able to set a large polling time but having changes in wifi networks and cell network location trigger more frequent gps updates. HOWEVER, without any cleverness I still would love it. My phone spends most of its time near a charger anyway :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base