I suggest you ...

use light sensor as a condition

I'd like to activate night mode (no sounds, turn off data connection etc.) when I switch off the light at home after 23:00 and to leave night mode when I switch on the light again.

159 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frosti shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vena commented  · 

great idea, what about daylight definition based on time and position?

• qweruiop commented  · 

This would be a great way of doing a proper auto brightness adjustment based on my preferences.

• Eddy commented  · 

I've wanted something very similar to this (an easy way of turning off stuff while I'm asleep) for ages on my Windows Mobile phone (I've just switched to Android which is why I'm looking at stuff like this app now).

The idea I had was to use the light sensor and G-sensor to activate night mode when it's dark enough AND the phone is flat on the bedside table, and I think that would avoid the problems people have mentioned so far.

Although right now I'd be happy with just a single-tap widget icon for the home screen to toggle a particular profile on and off directly.

• soundsgoodaudiovideo commented  · 

Sounds like a great idea to me. This could be used with the accelerometer (another feature I haven't seen here) or based on location, time and charging status to turn off the backlight or ringers or any number of things! Great idea! How about adding to that functionality, the use of the proximity sensor? Then you can really go nuts!

• Tanner commented  · 

Granted, his scenario isn't useful for everyone, but if it's a condition, you can use it in all sorts of scenarios.

Combine it with time and/or GPS/WiFi location and you can pretty much eliminate all problems that people would have.

Some people leave their phone on Airplane mode during the night (or when camping or something), so why not use the light sensor as a condition to turn airplane mode off.

There are tons of other possibilities that no one has thought of yet.

• Chris commented  · 

What would happen if you answer a call, and hold the phone to your face, covering the light sensor?

• Frosti commented  · 

Of course this works only in connection with a certain location and time frame, otherwise it would be triggered even by simply putting the phone into a pocket or bag.

My idea was to combine it with the existing home location and only between 23:00 and 7:00 o'clock.

• JCHansel commented  · 

I agree such condition COULD be problematic, but you could simply add the condition "plugged into Multimedia Docking Station" and that would eliminate the driving at night or in a pocket problems.

It would be great if i could set the Droid to go dark and silent during the night UNLESS I turn on the room light...

• AnotherHiggins commented  · 

This would be triggered when you're driving at night - not a time when I'd want all sounds to be muted.

• mah commented  · 

I disagree that this wouldn't work for people who put their phones inside a bag/case/pocket, etc. True, the original motivation wouldn't work, however I'd like to use this condition to trigger a different type of rule: disable the backlight immediately. When I've pocketed my phone, there's no reason for the display to remain on for the duration of the timeout, sucking my battery down.

• Jonathan commented  · 

I like this idea, but it wouldn't really work for people who put their phones inside say a bag or pocket. Might still work in conjunction with proximity detection.

• BankZ commented  · 

I would like it for when I am outside I can Crank up the brightness to MAX

Feedback and Knowledge Base