I suggest you ...

Associate Icons with Profiles

It would be great to have a selection of pre-canned icons to represent profiles (e.g., car, home, work, airplane, night, meeting, etc). These icons could then be shown for notifications (e.g., when you've set a timed lock on a profile) and also for the widget (so that it becomes an immediate visual notification of which profile is currently active.

228 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    webreaper shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MC commented  · 

Yeah, but let the option to have the icon invisible if you dont want to assign the icon profile to the notification bar (which was the best possible way!). The notification icon it is usseles and offer no information in your beta 6. it is better to have the previos config when sp was actually in the notificatione zone, but without that black icon!!

• AdminSlava (Admin, probeez) commented  · 

The profile icon allows quickly activate a profile via home screen shortcut. No plans to alter notification shortcut as we have a color indicator there

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just installed the new beta and set icons for my profiles. I see the icons for each profile in the settings screens, but I don't see them in the notification bar or shade. I restarted my phone and there has been no change. I have a Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1.

• Anonymous commented  · 

To be honest, I thought having an icon was also a great idea. The previous profile managers I've used had this feature, and it made it easy to see what profile was active without having to look at the home screen.

However, upon second thought, perhaps there's an easier solution. Right now, every profile has a particular colour, which you can change. Perhaps, instead of an icon, there could be a small box in the notification bar, and the box would be the colour of the profile. I'm not sure how many pixels the box would need to be, but something similar in size to all other average notification bar icons.

Well?

• kll commented  · 

3 votes for a permanent icon on the status bar so i know what profile i'm in without needing to go back to the home screen to look at the color.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree, this would be great. An app called Toggle Settings which is similar to Setting Profiles (but far less robust) will update the notification bar icon based on the active profile.

• Slim commented  · 

i agree...an icon in the notification bar as well as in the widget

• furus commented  · 

i vote for icon on the notification bar!

• tcapote commented  · 

I would like to also see different Widget Icon's, I don't care so much for the existing one at all. I like the color bar on the new widget, but not the widget Icon

• Toddnic commented  · 

I agree with icons for single profie mode. Even better, custom and/or built in icons that replace the widget icon showing the current profile. Keep the colors if you'd like to show multiple profiles below the icon.

• eVolts commented  · 

Instead of icons you could let choose a single letter that will be used instead of the icon. the actual color system is not really usable!

• Saran commented  · 

Profile-specific icons for widget (at least in single-profile mode) is the only thing that this great addon is missing :(

Please forget about the collor bars - they are not in sense of usability (think hard to differentiate for normal people, let alone color blind). Just use something like this:
        http://s2.appbrain.com/screen?id=7806147121968842894&i=2

• Sérgio Gameiro Junior commented  · 

I guess this would function like SBSH's Phoneweaver. I agree that custom icons for the profiles appearing on the notification bar are much more pleasing and informing than colours.

Also, having the ability to keep multiples profiles active could also mean having multiple icons. That could be good for the informations, and also bad for the cluttering of the notification bar, but that should always be configurable.

• Justin commented  · 

Either icon or name will be good.

• Grommmmm commented  · 

I'm with you. The current icon ist not that good. A generic one (a nicely shaped loud speaker) would do the trick.

• Joakim commented  · 

My preference is really icons, to keep a clean status bar. Colours usually indicates, incoming mails, SMSs, or simialr and would confuse (=look ugly).
        But I undestand that the taste seems to be split among the voters, so maybe aim for both in long term.

• marijn.achterkamp commented  · 

Yes, this is also the way it works in SPB phone suite (winmo). The widget just shows the Icon. It's a great feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base