I suggest you ...

Disable "mobile networks"

I´d like to have to option to switch off the complete "mobile networks". This can be done manually on my Android 2.1 device, so including this feature in the profiles should be possible, I guess. Background: on low battery mode disabling mobile networks REALLY saves a lot of power.

137 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    pchaaspchaas shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David AceitunoDavid Aceituno commented  · 

Upon scratching the surface a bit more i discovered the toggles i mentioned in my previous post were in fact not all what i had thought they would be. Even 2G/3G toggling seems hard to come by.
        Toggle 2G for instance, is for CM6 Only (though some have reported it to work in other roms)
        http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530
        Extended Controls and Power Control Plus both used the APN-method, and i had confused the former with the CM6 built-in Power Control widget.

By the lack of proper support for this kind of toggle, i would conclude that its a real pain (if not impossible) getting it to work. Perhaps a 3g/2g toggle would make more sense from a programing standpoint though.

• David AceitunoDavid Aceituno commented  · 

APNDroid does not work well on my phone (2.1/2.2 CM6). It gets into trouble trying to automatically restart the 3G-state. I think it has to do with the way it does it. It changes the name of the apn instead of toggling the mobile-data setting (which does work).
        With recent fairly simple widgets on market for 2.2 allowing toggling of mobile data properly, i don't see why SP couldn't implement this toggle. Is it really that complicated?

• ImneoImneo commented  · 

would like the ability to enable disable mobile data without using en external application..

it should be just like WIFI option

• probeezAdminprobeez (Admin, probeez) commented  · 

Schaefer,

You can control APNDroid through Setting Profiles RunApp action. Once you choice APNDroid you'll be able to Enable/Disable mobile internet as an option instead of usual Start/Kill

• SchaeferSchaefer commented  · 

@Emmanuel Viollet

No, APNDroid cannot do this based on conditions and an automatic schedual. This functionality would make the powersavings that can be achieved with SettingProfiles even greater.

No mobile networks between 0:00 and 7:00, that's even better then no sync cause the radio can save more energy. And no need to remember it every evening and morning (APNDroid) ;)

• rey.riosrey.rios commented  · 

I would love to have this as I work from home and use wifi most of the time, but on the road I would have a rule to disable wifi and turn on mobile network. In my case, for the EVO, it would be nice to turn off/on either 3g/4g

• Mark HirtMark Hirt commented  · 

I want this too but since the 2.1 upgrade my Hero cannot find location based profiles if they are not on. Location based profiles worked fine with ALL mobile networks off in Android 1.5x

If I turn GPS on SP cannot event find the tower I can see out my window.

• MikeMike commented  · 

On my Desire, I have the above setting too but also have the ability to turn Mobile Network on/off via a long press on the Power button. I think this option is essential as a power/cost saving feature. Used in combination with a Schedule profile switch you could have the phone enable mobile internet one an hour and perform a quick sync, say, at work.

• somegirlsomegirl commented  · 

This setting (at least on my HTC Droid Incredible) is under Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Enable always-on mobile data. Agreed, can be a big battery saver.

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base